As always, upon touch down, we all scuttled to our respective mentees like clockwork. It's great that the system has been established, so there's minimal floating around in uncertainty.My mentee was absent again but thankfully there was a surplus of mentees, so I was merely reassigned for this session.
This mentee was quite witty and has a quick reply for everything, that is until you force him to square 16 manually without calculator. I must admit I've forgotten how to use the manual times table though.
That aside, he was able to tell me that his demotion in school stream was because he did badly (nothing new there) but upon furthur probing, he said that he also didn't know his stuff and yet again after another round of questioning, he admitted that it was not because he couldn't do the questions. He had the capability but was just lazy/didn't bother.
So I told him that it follows that if he can, then he should and eventually he will pass. And I got him to repeat it a few times.
I guess what I was trying to impress upon him was that he could do it. And judging by his academic standard, he really can make it.
oh and he bought an assessment book (tears of joy) but he asked his friend to randomly help him buy just anything available (surprise surprise).
Onto the comments at the end of the session, it was noted that we could give the mentees a little homework and I think that will be helpful in keeping them practicing and fresh. It's amazing how each week there's like a memory-suction-vortex where everywntee undergoes accute memory loss on how to do questions.
Posted in
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment