As usual, the thursday session is on. This week, only 5 of us are heading to the hostel. Guess what! The passion in us to help the boys never cease although the team size decrease for this week.
I doubt either the freshies have heard of me or see me. But it's me...the one that Desmond told the boys' hostel IC that I'm uniquely one that missing for the 1st half of the year and suddenly come weekly.
Let's Grandma Sherri tell you her story...
Like many of you, I turned up for the WSC interview for FOC but was poached to RSP Youth as the queue is shorter. I signed up for Girls' Home but don't know for what reason I was transferred to Boys' Hostel (in which I was very grateful for the arrangement as I was staying in Choa Chu Kang!)
As a direct-entry student, the sudden load of uni academic work really left me breathless. In addition, I even load further with some CCAs (so I might anytime reach my 'fatigue point' *maybe only engineering students know). I went for the 1st session meeting my mentee, YR (not to be mentioned). A conversation was engaged regarding his lifestyle in hostel, school academic and basic information of himself... I can see his 'don't care' expression but deep in him, he really wanted to seek for help. After my 1st session, I only came for one, two sessions. And...gone 'missing' I am as my 'uni load' was getting heavier...
Before 2nd sem exams, my thursday was free and I headed to hostel happily there. But sad to find out that YR had been released earlier for public holiday. This is when I got to know my SBHL friends well...! We chatted at the Boys' Home foyer as we though we could help out over there. Haha...
My next event is the SBHL Family Day. Witnessing the scenes where parents meet their children, parents play with their children and maybe even sit down for a simple meal with them... I doubt some of their families actually do that often as some of their parents are trying very hard to get income. And know what! We was talking to Mr Yew Teck and I do mention about YR that I see him very hardworking. Mr Yew Teck replied that he was very obedient out of boys. As I walked about with the team, I met him, YR! In that spilt second, the promise, to YR to come down for the weekly sessions, indeed climb up all the way up the top of all my commitments. You couldn't believe how strong a 'Yes' will change YR's academic and my usual school life!
As promised, I came for the following weekly tutoring session. His academic indeed lag behind a lot! I've to even teach him from the basic primary school maths. I was very pleased to see his earnest willpower to learn. As the weekly sessions goes, he is able to catch up just in time for 'N' level (maybe aim to attain a B?) and inspire to get his ideal course to ITE. During one of the sessions, I was not too sure whether he was joking or not that he wants to enter into Uni taking my course, mechnical engineering! (I did told him about my friend who is from EM3 to normal technical stream to ITE to Poly and finally went up to Uni) That's very touching for me...!
As many of them know I'm a Yr 3 student (busy with projects and schoolwork), having 5 types of CCA commitments (in which 4 are main-com/IC posts)! But I can still make it for the weekly sessions 'breathlessly'. I am always filled with satisfaction after all sessions so I never fail to attend any so far...
All I hope for him are having discipline in himself (not getting on with his past life), able to do well enough for 'N' levels to get into his ideal course, finding the exact goals for his life and ... Moving On Happily Ever After!!! Oops...is that too much? Counting down of 2 more weeks to his discharge, I really. Really want to give him all the help that I can.
I think all of my SBHL friends will agree with my thoughts! All of them primarily want the boys to Move on Happily ever after with exact goals in their lives!
Thanks for staying tune to 'Talk with Grandma Sherri' . *coughs, coughs*
~ The world cares very little about what a man or woman knows; It is what the man or women is able to do that counts! ~ Booker T Washington3
# Sherri #
I doubt either the freshies have heard of me or see me. But it's me...the one that Desmond told the boys' hostel IC that I'm uniquely one that missing for the 1st half of the year and suddenly come weekly.
Let's Grandma Sherri tell you her story...
Like many of you, I turned up for the WSC interview for FOC but was poached to RSP Youth as the queue is shorter. I signed up for Girls' Home but don't know for what reason I was transferred to Boys' Hostel (in which I was very grateful for the arrangement as I was staying in Choa Chu Kang!)
As a direct-entry student, the sudden load of uni academic work really left me breathless. In addition, I even load further with some CCAs (so I might anytime reach my 'fatigue point' *maybe only engineering students know). I went for the 1st session meeting my mentee, YR (not to be mentioned). A conversation was engaged regarding his lifestyle in hostel, school academic and basic information of himself... I can see his 'don't care' expression but deep in him, he really wanted to seek for help. After my 1st session, I only came for one, two sessions. And...gone 'missing' I am as my 'uni load' was getting heavier...
Before 2nd sem exams, my thursday was free and I headed to hostel happily there. But sad to find out that YR had been released earlier for public holiday. This is when I got to know my SBHL friends well...! We chatted at the Boys' Home foyer as we though we could help out over there. Haha...
My next event is the SBHL Family Day. Witnessing the scenes where parents meet their children, parents play with their children and maybe even sit down for a simple meal with them... I doubt some of their families actually do that often as some of their parents are trying very hard to get income. And know what! We was talking to Mr Yew Teck and I do mention about YR that I see him very hardworking. Mr Yew Teck replied that he was very obedient out of boys. As I walked about with the team, I met him, YR! In that spilt second, the promise, to YR to come down for the weekly sessions, indeed climb up all the way up the top of all my commitments. You couldn't believe how strong a 'Yes' will change YR's academic and my usual school life!
As promised, I came for the following weekly tutoring session. His academic indeed lag behind a lot! I've to even teach him from the basic primary school maths. I was very pleased to see his earnest willpower to learn. As the weekly sessions goes, he is able to catch up just in time for 'N' level (maybe aim to attain a B?) and inspire to get his ideal course to ITE. During one of the sessions, I was not too sure whether he was joking or not that he wants to enter into Uni taking my course, mechnical engineering! (I did told him about my friend who is from EM3 to normal technical stream to ITE to Poly and finally went up to Uni) That's very touching for me...!
As many of them know I'm a Yr 3 student (busy with projects and schoolwork), having 5 types of CCA commitments (in which 4 are main-com/IC posts)! But I can still make it for the weekly sessions 'breathlessly'. I am always filled with satisfaction after all sessions so I never fail to attend any so far...
All I hope for him are having discipline in himself (not getting on with his past life), able to do well enough for 'N' levels to get into his ideal course, finding the exact goals for his life and ... Moving On Happily Ever After!!! Oops...is that too much? Counting down of 2 more weeks to his discharge, I really. Really want to give him all the help that I can.
I think all of my SBHL friends will agree with my thoughts! All of them primarily want the boys to Move on Happily ever after with exact goals in their lives!
Thanks for staying tune to 'Talk with Grandma Sherri' . *coughs, coughs*
~ The world cares very little about what a man or woman knows; It is what the man or women is able to do that counts! ~ Booker T Washington3
# Sherri #



0 comments:
Post a Comment