Hi everyone,
It is now my turn to share with everyone my thoughts and experiences that I have been through while serving the boys at the hostel these few months. This is the first time that I have volunteered myself to serve in this particular area, giving academic assistance to the boys staying in the hostel. Never in my life would I imagine that I would be able to get to know these boys even though I am often curious about them and their lives in general. Joining WSC has made this thought of mine come true and I have learnt many things, especially from the boys and my mentees.
It has been great (and I know it will continue to be) to have been able to interact with them, to teach them, to hear their stories and to reflect about my life as well. Often we may hear stories about “challenging” kids in the newspaper or through books and may wonder what was going through their minds when they think of doing something like that. Having attended the various secessions has helped me to understand a little of what they are going through. I have been allocated two mentees and I would be lying to say that it has been an easy task teaching them both together but I can surely say that I have gained a lot from them as well (although I am not sure if they managed to gain much from me).
Understanding that there is often lack of willingness to open up to “us”, it was difficult for me to get them to talk to me at the beginning for me to understand better and to effectively teach them. This made me rather frustrated but overtime I learnt to let things flow accordingly and soon enough through weekly interactions, they responded, converse and even laugh together with me. All these little things made my day and knowing that I have helped them understand even a simple equation made the trip down all worthwhile.
Through teaching and interacting with them, I learnt about their lives outside school and in the hostel, about their fears and regrets and their determination to start over once they have completed the time needed to leave the hostel. They have matured a lot over the year and I can say that they are generally regretful of their actions and often reproach themselves about how silly and naïve of them to think of committing those acts that got themselves into where they are now. At the same time, I also learnt more about myself, being thankful with what I have before me. Being able to go to school and having the autonomy to do the things that I want never came across to me as something that I should be thankful for and I learnt that from my mentees.
All in all, I hope everyone has learnt much as they continue to serve at the hostel. Take care and have a good recess week(:
cheers,


0 comments:
Post a Comment