Posted by cardmage on 11:10 PM

Hey everyone. Fred here. For those who have read my blog before, you would know that I sometimes go on funny tangents of weird thoughts and start going on and on about some weird issue or another. And I'm about to do that now, so I'm sorry if I'll bore you.

The thought I'll be picking up on is what Liwan posted in her last post. She said "service is never a simple act". I can't find myself agreeing more. Of course it is possible to look at it as just another mundane job of simply explaining the boys' homework to them, but that's missing the point. What we are really doing is changing lives. And I'm not exaggerating in the least.

You see, these boys all have their own stories, their own difficulties, their own paths, their own futures. The fact that these boys are there means they are at a sort of tipping point. They may have got a bit lost on the pathways of their lives and ended up doing something they shouldn't have done. They are being given second chances, and you are there to help them make the most of it. I believe every single one of them really are good people and deserve this second chance. What you do can and will change their lives.

And I won't lie here. Its not going to be easy. The burden of lives is immeasurable. The boys aren't always going to be cute and cooperative. They can be defiant or simply uninterested too. Things really aren't always going to turn out the way that you want them to. It can be absolutely frustrating. But if you give your best, the rewards will also be great.

What I want to say now however is not about the boys but about all of you. Because what you do can be so tiring and difficult and with the need to take care of your own lives as well, there would definitely be times when you feel burnt out or simply tired. Don't give up, because these boys need you. If things aren't going well for you, whether it is related directly to the boys' hostel or not, there is always all of us here with you. All of you are important and greatly valued members of our little club now, and I want all of you to feel free to approach us with anything troubling you.

Gosh I'm making myself twist in funny directions typing all that. But the point still stands. We'll be there for each other when we need it. Let's get through this patch of our lives together.

Frederick

0 comments: