Posted by mE & yOu on 10:39 AM

High concrete walls stood tall and erect as if protecting what was confined within. The surrounding area looked decent but had an air of hostility to it. Upon entering the boys’ hostel, the first sight that greeted me was the canteen-like layout which didn’t give me much sign of cheeriness.

I had not expected nor visualized much prior to my first RSP Youth session. Based on the outlook of the area though, I got a first impression of how serious the condition might be. There were certain measures to ensure that the place was secure. Despite that, I was very eager to discover what might lie within.

The sole activity for the session was a game of ‘wacko’ using sheets of rolled-up newspapers. Knowing this, I was highly puzzled as to how a simple game might be able to last for one whole session. I thought we were going to crack our brains in no time pondering over the next game to play with the remaining time. My unfounded worries were nevertheless dismissed in a few moments.

Upon entering the room, the initially subdued boys were suddenly filled with astonishing vigour and were exceedingly playful. Some self-generated amusement was created and disorder ensued. Unable to comprehend the situation, I stood by the side at lost while the seniors tried to restrain the boys. At this point in time, I began to feel slightly nervous as thoughts of violence and uncontrollability ran through my mind. It was merely innocent fun though and nothing much to be concerned.

As we finally got the game in proper motion, I had the opportunity to talk to some of the boys. Although originally hesitant, the boys gradually opened up after some casual chats. They were in fact quite friendly once they warmed up to us. They were even willing to share some stories with the volunteers in spite of it being the first session.

Losing track of time, the whole evening came to an end surprisingly fast. There were incessant laughter that were mostly truth be told, unfunny but ended up funny. There was plenty of merriment and sheer fun. There was also a brilliant but failed attempt by the boys to lure the volunteers into dancing by shuffling to some random dance moves and encouraging the volunteers’ participation. Ultimately, the session ended with some bonds forged and a better understanding between the boys and the volunteers. Some volunteers came away with a special connection fostered with some boys while the rest had an evening well spent.

I’m sorry to say that I had to leave only after one semester but I’ve certainly enjoyed my time with WSC albeit a brief one. Thank you to all the wonderful people for the amazing time of karaoke and steamboat that day, not to forget the lovely wishes on the card as well as the most adorable teddy bear! Special thanks to Li Wan for arranging everything. I will remember all of you. You all have such big hearts!

I am undoubtedly grateful to get a chance to at least attend a session too and it was certainly a meaningful one. It is with utmost regret that I couldn’t attend more. I hope you all manage to bond with the boys and spread your warmth to them as well help them in whatever ways. I’m sure they’ll be touched and appreciative of what you all do. Keep up the good work! My best wishes to all of you and hope to see you all someday. If I happen to visit Sg again when there’s a session, might I be allowed to join you guys for the session? =) Keep in touch then and love you guys!

Happy early birthday to Li Wan too!

Jolene

0 comments: